Can a Mercedes GLA tow a caravan?
This article will give information regarding towing capabilities of the Mercedes Benz GLA model series. And answer the question: can a Mercedes Benz GLA tow a caravan?. This article will also take a look at the trailer hitch hike mechanism and the process involved in attaching a trailer to a vehicle.
Can a Mercedes GLA tow a caravan?
Yes, Mercedes Benz GLA can easily tow a 2 to 4 berth caravan weighing up to 1300 Kg and a larger caravan up to 1800 Kg with reduced speeds (less than 100 km per hour). The only exceptions to this are the AMG models Mercedes Benz Gla 45, and AMG line models Gla 35 series. Towing on AMG models is not recommended and doing so will void the warranty.
Let’s take a look at the following table of trailer loads for braked trailers.
Braked trailers have an independent mechanical braking system that applies brakes to the trailer through linkage connected to the trailer hitch mechanism and does not rely on braking force from the vehicle. Thus Braked trailer loads are always higher compared to the unbraked trailers.
As you can see the Mercedes Benz GLA 4 Matic will offer higher towing capacity as all wheels are driven and provide better traction on the road compared to two-wheel drive variants. The towing loads also depend upon the minimum initial incline climbing ability of the vehicle, in the case of GLA its 12%.
The following table shows unbraked trailer loads
Unbraked permissible trailer loads are lower compared to braked trailers as they must be slowed down with the braking force provided by the vehicle. If unbraked trailer loads are higher than the gross weight of the vehicle, there won’t be sufficient brake force available to stop and this will lead to accidents.
To summarise, the GLA model series offers a maximum braked towing capacity of 1800kg and for unbraked trailers, it is 750kg. The permissible trailer loads also depend on the combined weight of occupants and cargo in the vehicle.
Important weight terms to remember before attaching the tailor.
- Gross weight – Total weight of the vehicle with the weight of occupants and cargo in the vehicle. The permissible gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is usually available on the Vehicle identification plate located on the B-pillar of the vehicle. Actual gross weight must not exceed this rating
- Nose weight of trailer- The nose weight of the trailer is the total weight at the coupling head connected to the towball of the towing vehicle. This nose weight naturally affects the gross weight of the vehicle. The nose weight is between 10 to 15 % of the weight of the trailer and its loads. This is also known as maximum drawbar load.
- MRO- mass in running order indicates the average weight of an unloaded caravan. Refer to manufacturing details before towing the caravan.
- MTPLM- maximum technically permissible laden mass this is the total weight the caravan is rated for, generally the maximum weight of the loaded caravan.
- Towing capacity- it is the maximum weight the vehicle can tow minus the gross weight of the vehicle. The higher gross weight reduces the towing capacity and affects the weight distribution.
Connecting a Trailer to the vehicle.
If the vehicle is fitted with a trailer hitch mechanism from the factory, it is usually electrically operated from a switch in the load compartment. Pressing the switch will lower the towing ball of the trailer hitch. Mechanical levers can also be used to lower the towing ball.
The ball neck must be pulled and locked into towing position, if the ball is damaged due to accident it must be replaced, and the condition of the ball neck must be checked before attaching the trailer to the vehicle.
- The vehicle transmission should be in P (parked) gear.
- The electrical parking brake must be engaged to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
- The trailer must be positioned behind the vehicle in a straight line before connecting the trailer.
- The nose load of the trailer affects the position of coupling on the trailer, a trailer with height-adjustable drawbars helps to connect with the towing ball more easily.
- Lastly, connect the electrical coupler for the lights to the vehicle.
GLA is equipped with a trailer recognition control unit that controls the lighting system on the trailer. The vehicle trailer socket is factory fitted with a permanent power supply.
If the vehicle is travelling downhill with the trailer attached, selecting lower gear will use engine braking effect on automation transmission. This reduces the load on the vehicle braking system, especially in the case of unbraked trailers and prevents brake fade due to overheating.
Engine and gearbox available on New GLA model series.
Mercedes Benz GLA is an entry-level SUV available with inline-four petrol and diesel engines.
M282 engine is used for the petrol variant with a maximum power of 118 KW & 230 NM torque; an additional 75 kW of power and 330 Nm torque is provided by the electric machine in the case of hybrid model GLA 250e. M282 is the successor of the M270 engine found in older models of GLA.
The OM654 diesel engine is used in diesel variants of model series GLA, OM 654 produces about 140KW of power with 400NM torque. Diesel engine with its superior torque and the all-wheel-drive system naturally has the highest towing capacity in all available variants. The diesel engine also comes equipped with an AdBlue injection system for exhaust after-treatment.
New improved 8-speed DCT 400 transmission is mated to both petrol and diesel engines with engine separated clutch in case of hybrid model. Hence maximum torque is available right from low engine speeds.
Other articles about Mercedes Benz you may be interested in
Although the Mercedes Benz GLA has a great towing capacity with a braked trailer, it is not good for towing large caravans over long distances. The maximum speed is hugely impacted by higher gross weight and fuel economy is also reduced. AMG variants of the GLA model series do not come with a trailer hitch and installing any aftermarket towing mechanism will void the warranty.
FAQs: can a Mercedes GLA tow a caravan?
Can you fit a towbar to Mercedes Benz GLA?
A towbar can be installed to the towing eye provided with the vehicle. But towing a trailer is not suitable for this method. A proper trailer hitch mechanism with a tow ball must be used to tow a trailer.
Which Mercedes can tow a caravan?
Mercedes Benz models can be retrofitted with a trailer hitch. Visit the nearest dealership to check if retro fitment for your Mercedes is available. AMG model services are not recommended to tow a caravan.
Does adding trailer hitch void warranty?
If the trailer hitch is available for the model and installed by authorised personnel at the dealership then the warranty is not void. Installing an aftermarket trailer hitch with modification to the rear bumper can lead to damages to the vehicle and void the warranty.
Is Mercedes Benz Gla worth buying?
Mercedes Benz Gla is a great entry-level compact SUV that can carry 5 occupants easily. It is worth buying as a variety of model variants are available to fulfil the requirements of customers.