How much can a Mercedes e350 tow?
This article will give information regarding towing capacities of the Mercedes Benz E 350 model series. And answer the questions, how much can a Mercedes Benz E350 tow? What types of trailers can be towed? This article will also explain driver assistance systems available while towing and the process involved in attaching a trailer to a vehicle.
How much can the Mercedes E350 tow?
The Mercedes Benz E350 has a 3.0 litre Biturbo V6 petrol engine which can easily tow a trailer that can carry loads up to 2100kg. E350 will also tow most caravans as the average weight of caravans is around 1000 to 1500kg. The weight of the empty trailer together with the weight of the load must not exceed towing capacity.
The Mercedes E350 has a braked towing capacity of 2100 kg. Braked trailers have an independent mechanical braking system that applies brakes to the trailer through linkage connected to the trailer hitch mechanism and does not rely on braking force from the vehicle. Thus Braked trailer loads are always higher compared to unbraked trailers.
The towing loads also depend upon the minimum initial incline climbing ability of the vehicle, in this case, it is 12%. The E350 has airmatic suspension with an adaptive damping system and ride height can be changed at a press of a button.
The Mercedes E350 has an unbraked towing capacity of 750 kg. Unbraked permissible trailer loads are lower compared to braked trailers as they must be slowed down with the braking force provided by the vehicle. If unbraked trailer loads are higher than the gross weight of the vehicle, there won’t be sufficient brake force available to stop and this will lead to accidents.
The permissible trailer loads also depend on the combined weight of occupants and cargo in the vehicle. There should be a safety buffer while towing a caravan, to avoid towing at the maximum limit.
Important weight terms to remember before attaching the tailor.
- Gross weight – Total weight of the vehicle with the weight of occupants and cargo in the vehicle. The permissible gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is usually available on the Vehicle identification plate located on the B-pillar of the vehicle. Actual gross weight must not exceed this rating.
- Nose weight of trailer- The nose weight of the trailer is the total weight at the coupling head connected to the towbar of the towing vehicle. This nose weight naturally affects the gross weight of the vehicle. The nose weight is between 10 to 15 % of the weight of the trailer and its loads. This is also known as maximum drawbar load.
- MRO- mass in running order indicates the average weight of an unloaded caravan. Refer to manufacturing details before towing the caravan.
- MTPLM- maximum technically permissible laden mass this is the total weight the caravan is rated for, generally the maximum weight of the loaded caravan.
- Towing capacity- it is the maximum weight the vehicle can tow minus the gross weight of the vehicle. The higher gross weight reduces the towing capacity and affects the weight distribution.
Connecting a Trailer to the Mercedes Benz E350.
If the vehicle is fitted with a trailer hitch mechanism from the factory, it is usually electrically operated from a switch in the load compartment. Pressing the switch will lower the towing ball of the trailer hitch. Mechanical levers can also be used to lower the towing ball. The trailer load must be entered in Vehicle documents; some countries can require a special license to tow a caravan.
The ball neck must be pulled and locked into towing position, if the ball is damaged due to accident it must be replaced, and condition of the ball neck must be checked before attaching the trailer to the vehicle.
- The vehicle transmission should be in P (parked) gear.
- Electrical parking brake must be engaged to prevent vehicle from rolling.
- Trailer must be positioned behind the vehicle in a straight line before connecting the trailer.
- The nose load of the trailer affects the position of coupling on the trailer; a trailer with height adjustable drawbars helps to connect with the towing ball more easily.
- Lastly, connect the electrical coupler for the lights to the vehicle.
E350 is equipped with a trailer recognition control unit which controls the lighting system on the trailer. Vehicle trailer socket is factory fitted with a permanent power supply.
If the vehicle is traveling downhill with the trailer attached, selecting lower gear will use the engine braking effect on the automatic transmission. This reduces load on the vehicle braking system especially in case of unbraked trailers and prevents brake fade due to overheating.
Engine and gearbox in the E 350.
The Mercedes Benz E 350 comes with a 3.0 liter V6 bi turbo petrol engine. M276 has Mercedes Benz camshaft adjustment technology which gives a flat torque curve. The intercooler for the charged air intake is also liquid cooled. M276 produces 270kW power output. Some E350 are equipped with a naturally aspirated version of M276 with a displacement of 3.5 liter.The Mercedes Benz E350 has a 9 speed automatic transmission.
Driver assistance systems available while towing in a Mercedes Benz E350
- ESP trailer stabilization- ESP control unit monitors vehicle wheel speeds by wheel speed sensors and steering inputs with the help of a steering angle sensor. If the vehicle with the trailer starts to swerve, the ESP control unit will intervene by reducing engine power and braking at individual wheels in order to stabilize the vehicle. This is only active from 65km/h.
- Crosswind assistance- While towing a caravan, the vehicle behaves differently. A strong crosswind can push a vehicle off the straight line and into a divider or oncoming traffic. Crosswind assistance integrated in the ESP control unit helps in keeping the vehicle in a straight line. The ESP control unit can brake individual wheels depending on the direction of wind hitting the vehicle. This function is active from 80km/h.
Types of trailer and weight chart
The Following table contains types of trailer and weight that can be towed by a Mercedes E 350.
|Trailer type||Empty weight (Kg)||GVWR (total weight) Kg|
|canoe/ kayak||50 to 200||100 to 400|
|Jet ski trailer||50 to 200||300 to 1400|
|Motorcycle trailer||150 to 350||600 to 1600|
|Fishing boat trailer||100 to 450||400 to 2100|
|Tow dolly||200 to 500||400 to 2100|
Other articles about Mercedes Benz you may be interested in
The Mercedes Benz E350 has a towing capacity of 2100kg with a braked trailer, it will tow most types of trailers over long distances provided the max gross weight is within limits. Trailers can be used to carry motorcycles, fishing boats etc. E350 offers good power output from a 6 cylinder petrol engine which makes it a good choice for towing.
FAQs: how much can a mercedes e350 tow?
Can you fit a towbar to a Mercedes Benz E350?
A towbar can be installed to the towing eye provided with the vehicle. But towing a trailer is not suitable by this method. A proper trailer hitch mechanism with a tow ball must be used to tow a trailer.
Which Mercedes can tow a caravan?
Mercedes Benz models can be retrofitted with trailer hitch. Visit the nearest dealership to check if retro fitment for your Mercedes is available. AMG model services are not recommended to tow a caravan.
Does adding trailer hitch void warranty?
If the trailer hitch is available for the model and installed by authorized personnel at the dealership then warranty is not void. Installing an aftermarket trailer hitch with modification to the rear bumper can lead to damages to the vehicle and void the warranty.
Can a Mercedes E63s AMG Tow a boat?
Mercedes E63s AMG has a massive 4.0 liter V8 petrol engine and 4MATIC drivetrain but it is not permitted to tow a boat.