This article will explain the problem “Nissan Sentra trunk opens on its own”. The problem is quite common in modern vehicles and can be easily solved if you have the slightest proficiency in using the tools. To explain the issue in the Nissan Sentra, we will first explain the cause which is creating this problem, and then we will give away to fix the problem.
Nissan Sentra is a sedan, and it is one of the oldest products of Nissan motors. The first Nissan Sentra was launched in 1982, and since then, it has been an enormous success. The company is also planning to introduce a new model of the Nissan Sentra in 2022. However, there are some common problems that car owners face.
One of the common problems that Nissan Sentra’s owners face is the trunk opening automatically. This problem is familiar to the owners of Nissan Sentra, but it is also common amongst the other car models.
The trunk in modern cars uses an electronic switch to open and close the trunk. However, when moisture or water seeps into the trunk opening switch, then the circuit of the switch gets damaged, due to which the switch starts to malfunction. You only have one option to replace the switch in such a case.
Apart from the problem with the switch, there can also be a problem with the vehicle’s latch. If the trunk’s latch is suffering from an issue, then the trunk can open automatically because the latch won’t grip the trunk lid properly. Therefore, you will also need to replace the trunk latch in such a case.
This article will mainly focus on replacing the electronic switch in your vehicle if it has gone faulty.
How to fix a Nissan Sentra trunk that opens on its own?
The procedure to fix the Nissan Sentra Trunk that opens on its own is as follows:-
- Arrange some basic tools such as a screwdriver, ratchet and socket.
- Remove the cover on the latch, which protects it.
- Once the cover is removed, start removing the plastic clips holding the protective cloth.
- Pull the cloth out from the trunk.
- Release the plastic locks on the chrome grille with the help of a flat head screwdriver.
- Replace the old lights on the bottom of the chrome strip with the new lights.
- Place the chrome strip back on the vehicle and lock it with the plastic locks
- Put the bolts on the chassis and tighten them with the help of a ratchet and socket.
- Place the cover back, which was placed to protect the components under the car trunk. Apply plastic pins on the cover.
- Test the trunk.
Troubleshooting the Electronic Switch of the Trunk
The electronic switch on the Nissan Sentra is actuated with the help of a button on the keyfob. Sometimes when moisture enters the switch, the circuit gets short, and then the switch starts to misbehave. In that case, the car trunk will not only open automatically, but it won’t open manually. The trunk will only open by pressing the trunk actuation button on the keyfob. Thus, you need to replace the electronic button, and for doing so, you can follow this simple procedure.
- Firstly, you need to arrange some essential tools for performing the procedure on the trunk of a Nissan Sentra. Such as the 10mm socket, clip remover, screwdriver, etc.
- Once you have arranged these tools, you first need to remove the cover on the latch which protects it. For removing the cover, you need to place the flat head screwdriver below the cover and pop it up.
- Once the cover is removed, start removing the plastic clips holding the protective cloth on the trunk with the help of clip remover.
- Once the cloth clips and the latch cover are removed, pull the cloth out from the trunk, and you will be able to see the connections below it.
- Find the wire which connects to the switch. The switch will be placed in place with the help of a gourmet. You can push the Gourmet to detach it.
- Once the Gourmet is removed, with the help of a 10mm socket and ratchet, start loosening the bolts present on the inside of the trunk. These bolts hold the chrome grille present on the back of the car.
- After removing the bolts, you need to release the plastic locks on the chrome grille with the help of a flat head screwdriver. Once the grille is out, push the switch out from the housing.
- It will be best to replace the lights present on the bottom of the chrome strip. To replace the lights, you need a Philip head screwdriver; with the help of a Philip head screwdriver, remove the screws and remove the connections as well.
- Now place the new light, switch and connect all the connections on the chrome strip. Once the lights and switch are in place, start the procedure of fixing the chrome strip back on the vehicle.
- Place the chrome strip back on the vehicle and lock it with the plastic locks. Now put the bolts on the chassis and tighten them with the help of a ratchet and socket.
- Once the bolts are tight, then place the cover back, which was placed to protect the components under the car trunk. Once the protection cover is placed, apply the plastic pins on it.
- Once the pins are applied, then test the trunk by closing it. If the trunk doesn’t open automatically again, you have successfully solved the problem.
In this article, we have successfully explained the problem “Nissan Sentra trunk opens on its own”. To explain the issue, we have mentioned the different causes of the Sentra trunk Opening by itself. Moreover, we have also explained how to fix a faulty boot switch.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Nissan Sentra trunk opens on its own
Can a car trunk open by itself?
The car trunk can open by itself. However, it depends on the broken part in the trunk assembly. For example, if the switch in the trunk is broken, then the trunk might open automatically.
Why is my trunk button not working?
The trunk button might not be working because the car battery is weak, the wire and electronics are faulty. Moreover, a blown fuse can also be a reason behind the fault in the trunk.
Where is the trunk release located?
The trunk lid can be opened with a lever present on the vehicle’s floor. In addition, the trunk lid can be opened by lifting the trunk release lever.
Why is the trunk lid not closing?
If the trunk lid is not closing, you need to examine the area near the latch. If the area has a dent, then there are chances that the catch is misaligned from its original place, causing the trunk to not close.