How to manually move a power seat in a BMW?
This article will answer the query “how to move a power seat BMW manually?” In addition to the answer to the query, we will also learn about the working of electric memory seats. Moreover, we will also acquire knowledge about fixing the power seat switch.
How to manually move a power seat in a BMW?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to manually move a power seat in a BMW
- Ensure that the engine is turned off and the battery is disconnected from the circuit.
- Getting the entire seat detached from the car.
- Look beneath the seat, where you will find a mesh made out of cloth.
- Use a knife, scissor, or a bolt cutter to cut the spring mesh.
- Use the pliers to move the shaft to bring the seat to the desired position.
- Put the seat back into the car.
- Check whether it is adjusted correctly.
Tools Required for moving the BMW seat manually.
Before fixing the power seat in BMW, the first step is to arrange the tools required for performing the troubleshooting process. The tools required for moving the BMW power seat are:-
- Safety glasses
- Bolt Cutter
Once we have collected all the tools required to manually move the car seat, the next step is to start the troubleshooting process.
Procedure for moving the power seat manually.
- When dealing with automotive electrical equipment, ensure that the engine is turned off and the battery is disconnected from the circuit, which is a prudent step that is extremely necessary for the operator’s safety.
- The next step in moving the BMW seat is getting the entire seat detached from the car. The detachment of the seat from the car helps the operator work on the seat properly and makes the job hassle-free.
- Once the seat is out, look beneath the seat, where you will find a mesh made out of cloth.
- Use a knife, scissor, or a bolt cutter to cut the spring mesh. Make sure you cut the mesh precisely and patiently because electrical wires inside the mesh might get cut while cutting the BMW seat mesh. Once the spring mesh is cut, you will see the shafts on which the car seat moves.
- Once you have cut through the mesh, the next step is to use the pliers to move the shaft to bring the seat to the desired position.
- For moving the seat forward, turn the shaft to the left-hand side. To move the seat backwards, turn the shaft to the right-hand side. Performing this step will bring the seat to the desired position. However, this will get you a temporary solution. You will still need to take your BMW to the garage to repair the seat.
- Once you get the seat in the desired position, it’s now time to put the seat back into the car.
- Once the car seat is placed back into the car, you must check whether it is adjusted correctly. Sit on the seat, place your hand on the steering wheels, and put your legs on the pedals. If the hands and legs reach the steering wheel and pedals comfortably, the seat is correct.
Procedure for Replacing the power seat switch manually.
One of the primary reasons behind the malfunctioning of the power seat in BMW is the power seat switch becoming defective. However, you can replace these switches manually easily.
- Disconnect the power seat’s negative battery cable.
- Remove the trim panel of the seat and use screwdrivers to loosen the screws. Once the screws are loose, remove the trim panel from the cushion.
- Open the switch panel by removing the screws.
- Once the switch panel is open, remove the electrical connector connected to the switch by sliding it down.
- Once the switch is disconnected, remove it and install the new switch. For installing the new switch, repeat the mentioned steps.
Working of Power seat Memory feature
The memory feature of the seat can significantly reduce the hustle of the driver. The driver can store the preferred seat position just by a press of a button present on the car’s door.
For saving the seat memory, the person first needs to adjust the seat according to their preference. Once they find the accurate position of their seat, they need to long-press the memory button on the door, and then the electronic circuit will take feedback of the seat position and save it. Once the seat position is saved, the driver only needs to press the memory button, and the seat is adjusted according to their preference.
Cars that have memory seats allow the users of the car to store two memories for the driver seat. Memory feature is handy for people sharing the driving seat with another person. Because in that case, both individuals can have their preferred setting saved.
Other articles about BMW you may be interested in
In this blog, we have addressed “how to manually move a power seat BMW?” In accordance with this issue, we have also addressed how to replace the power seat switch manually. Moreover, we have also elaborated on the working of the power seat memory function.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): how to manually move a power seat BMW?
Do BMW Seats have massage functions?
Yes, BMW seats have massage functions, but the feature is only available in selected models. For example, the BMW 7 series is currently equipped with the massage feature in their seats.
What Makes a Seat Comfortable in the car?
The seat comfort in the car depends upon the backrest angle. Therefore, the backrest angle must be adjusted so that it matches the shape of the spine of the person driving the car.
How can I make the car seat softer?
- Clean and condition the car seats. Clean the seats using a leather cleaner and then massage the seat with a leather conditioner.
- Replace the foam present in the seat to make it softer.
- Sew the seat pads to make a car seat that has lost some foam cushioning.
What is an easy entry in BMW?
An easy entry feature in BMW is a convenience feature that acts when the driver opens the door. Once the door is open, the seat and the steering wheel move back, and once the ignition is turned on, the seat and steering wheel comes back to the preferred position, which reduces the driver’s hustle in going in and out of the car.