In this article, we will explain the procedure for “how to open a gas tank if the button doesn’t work.” To address the issue of the gas tank not opening even when the button on the key fob is pressed is essential. Because in an emergency, the techniques can come in handy. We will explain two techniques to help you open the gas tank manually.
In new-age cars, steadily, the conventional latch and striker mechanism, which is operated by a lever near the driver’s seat, is being substituted by a fuel door actuator. A fuel door actuator is an electronic device that consists of a sensor that actuates a lock pin when the button on the key fob is pressed.
To open a fuel door when the system is working perfectly, you first need to unlock the vehicle and press the fuel door. However, even after pressing the button on the key fob, the fuel door doesn’t open in some situations. This situation can arise due to several reasons.
- The battery of the key fob is weak.
- The fuel door actuator is faulty.
- The electrical circuit of the fuel door actuator has turned faulty.
- The fuse attached to the fuel door actuator circuit is blown.
- A dent on the surface of the fuel door.
These are some of the reasons which can lead to a faulty fuel door actuator. However, if you face a situation where the fuel door is not working, you can use one of the following techniques to open the fuel door.
How to open the gas tank if the button doesn’t work?
The procedure to open the gas tank if the button is not working is as follows:-
- Pry open the fuel door
- Manually open the fuel door by accessing the fuel door actuator from the trunk.
Troubleshooting method for opening the fuel door actuator
Pry open the fuel door.
- When the fuel door isn’t opening, you can try to open the fuel door with the help of a flathead screwdriver.
- On your car, where the fuel door is present, there will be a gap in between the fuel door and the car chassis. To pry open the fuel door, you need to insert the screwdriver in this gap.
- Put the screwdriver in the gap between the fuel door and the car body. Then you need to apply a force on the handle of the screwdriver.
- When you apply the force on the screwdriver’s handle, the fuel door will start to lift. As the fuel door starts to lift, start inserting the screwdriver more inwards, which will cause the gap to increase between the fuel door and the car body.
- When the force applied to the screwdriver increases beyond a certain point, the fuel door will open up.
Manually open the fuel door by accessing the fuel door actuator from the trunk.
- The fuel door actuator is present on the inside of the trunk sidewall. Therefore, to open the fuel door manually, you need to access the actuator from the trunk.
- Arrange some basic tools such as a screwdriver and a plastic clip remover tool.
- Many vehicles have a cloth installed inside the trunk to cover up the car body and protect the wiring going along the car body for different equipment such as the lights.
- Open the vehicle’s trunk and start removing the plastic pins present on the cloth that is present on the fuel door side.
- Once the plastic pins are moved, pull the cloth out. Once you pull the cloth out, you will see the fuel door actuator present behind it.
- With the help of your hands, reach the fuel door actuator and search for a rod present on it.
- Once you find the rod present on the fuel door actuator, pull it. As you pull the rod, the fuel door on the vehicle will open.
In this article, we have successfully addressed “how to open gas tank if the button doesn’t work.” Opening a fuel tank that doesn’t open by pressing the button on the key fob can be carried out in two ways. The first way is to pry open the fuel door with the help of a screwdriver, while the second way is to access the fuel door actuator from the trunk of the vehicle. Both methods are easy to perform.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): how to open gas tank if the button doesn’t work
How do I know that someone tampered with the fuel tank?
The signs of tampering with the fuel tank door are as follows:
- Signs of tampering at the gas cap
- The smell of bleach or improper fuel.
- A dusting of sugar or sand at the gas cap
How do you check the fuel level with a dipstick?
To check the fuel level, with the help of a dipstick, you need to insert the dipstick in the gas tank and pull it out. The stick will show the quantity of fuel present in the fuel tank.
What are the different petroleum products used as fuel?
The different petroleum products used as fuel are Gasoline/petrol, diesel, liquified petroleum gas, jet fuel, and marine fuel are some major petroleum fuels.
What are the 3 types of fuel?
The 3 different types of fuel which are available for consumption are as follows:-
- Solid fuel
- Liquid fuel
- Gaseous fuel