This article will explain “How to open stuck glove box Honda Pilot.” While explaining the glove box problem, we will give you a troubleshooting way for opening the glove box on your Honda Pilot.
The glove box on your Honda Pilot won’t open if there is an issue with the mechanism used in the glove box. For example, when a component inside the latch mechanism is broken, the glove box won’t open. In such a case, you need to open the glove box using the following technique.
How to open a stuck glove box on Honda Pilot?
- Pull the cover on the glove box out.
- Remove the two screws present on the bottom of the glove box.
- With the help of a screwdriver, push the latch to get detached from the glove box.
- Remove the two screws present on the lid of the glove box.
- With the help of a nail, remove the debris and fix the latch of the glove box.
Method for opening the glove box
- To address the issue of a faulty Honda Pilot glove box, you need to pull the cover on the glove box out. The cover of the glove box is fitted on the glove box assembly using plastic locks. So when you apply pressure on the glove box cover, a popping sound will be generated.
- After removing the top cover of the glove box, you need to remove the two screws present on the bottom of the glove box. Removing these screws will allow you to pull the glove box out from the glove box assembly once the glove box latch is detached.
- Now, once the glove box’s cover is popped out, you need to arrange a screwdriver. The latch of the glove box on the Honda Pilot is present behind the plastic cover, which was just removed.
- With the help of a long screwdriver, you need to push the latch to release it from the catch present on the glove box mechanism. Once the latch is released, you can easily pull out the glove box from its assembly.
- Once the glove box is out, you need to remove the two screws present on the lid of the glove box. These screws hold the latching mechanism in the glove box.
- Use the screwdriver to loosen the screws, and then once the screws are out, you can easily move the latching mechanism out from the glove box.
- In most cases, the latch doesn’t open the glove box because a broken plastic lever is responsible for opening the glove box. The plastic piece connects the latch and the release lever.
- To fix this issue, you can use a bent steel nail. However, the steel nail is broad at the tip. But for using the nail in the glove box latch, you need to make the nail flat near the tip of the nail.
- So for flattening the nail near the tip, you need to use a grinder to grind the nail’s surface. Once the surface is ground, the nail can be inserted in the slot present on the glove box assembly.
- Now put the ground end of the nail into the gap present in the latching mechanism while the head of the nail is in the slot, which is actuated by the glove box lever.
- Once the nail is in the position, you need to put epoxy adhesive in the slot present on the glove box latch so that the nail stays in place and doesn’t move out during operation. While applying epoxy, be careful because you don’t want to seal the complete mechanism.
- Once the epoxy is applied, keep the latch for drying, and after that, test the working of the latch. If the latch is working fine, it is now time to install it back on the glove box.
- Before putting the latch back on the glove box, you need to apply adhesive on the locked glove box cover and then fix the glove box cover back.
- Once the cover has been put back, you need to place the latch on the glove box and tighten the two screws which hold the latch in position.
- Once the screws are installed, put the glove box back in its place and tighten the two screws at the bottom of the glove box. Once these screws are fitted, the latch is secured in its position.
In this article, we have successfully addressed the solution for “How to open a stuck glove box Honda Pilot.” While explaining the solution for the Honda Pilot glove box issue, we have explained a detailed step-by-step approach for fixing the glove box latch and getting the glove box back into operation.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs): How to open stuck glove box Honda Pilot
How do you open a stuck glove box?
Opening a stuck glove box is the most convenient way is by gently tapping the latch mechanism and simultaneously pulling the glove box door itself. The emphasis here is on being gentle careful because the glove box is made of plastic and can break easily.
How do you open a broken glove compartment?
Use a drill to make a hole of ⅛ inch from the right side of the glove box and at a distance of 10 to 11 mm from the top edge where the face of the glove box begins. Next, pass a metal coat hanger and release the latch.
What is a glove box damper?
A glove box damper is a device that has a cam rotationally moving a spring. This cam slowly opens the glove box during the opening. The dampers are highly useful if the lid is made of metal.
Can you remove the glove box?
Yes, push the right-hand side of the glove box downward. Then use a Phillips head screwdriver for removing the screw which secures the glove compartment.