How to open the hood of a Subaru?
This article will explain “How to open the hood of car Subaru”. In addition, we will also explain how the hood latch works. Moreover, we will also explain an alternative to open the hood if the latch is stuck.
How to open the hood of a Subaru?
Steps to open the hood of a Subaru are as follows:-
- Ensure that the parking brake is engaged and the vehicle is in neutral gear.
- Find the hood release lever and pull it
- Go to the front of the vehicle and slide your hand below the popped out bonnet
- Press the latch lever, and the bonnet will be unlocked
- Move the bonnet to the maximum height and support the hood with the hood prop rod.
Opening the hood of Subaru is not at all different from any other car. But the main issue which people face is finding the hood release lever. The hood release lever in Subaru is mostly present on the lower side of the dashboard beneath the steering wheel. Below are the steps for opening the hood.
- Before opening the parking brake, make sure that the parking brake is engaged and the vehicle is in neutral gear. Moreover, turning the engine off is advisable.
- The bonnet release lever is present on the lower side of the dashboard. The lever has a hood sign embossed on it.
- Find the hood release lever and pull it. Once you pull the lever, the hood will pop out from the latch.
- After pulling the lever, go to the front of the vehicle and slide your hand below the popped out bonnet. When you move the hand below the bonnet, you feel the latch lever.
- Press the latch lever, and the bonnet will be unlocked. Now move the bonnet up to the maximum height and support the hood with the hood prop rod.
- The hood is now open.
Working of Hood Latch
The hood latch has an interesting working mechanism. In this section, we will explain the working of the hood latch both during opening and closing the hood.
What happens when you open the hood?
The hood latch mechanism is a two-way lock, and it is present behind the front grille. The latch is connected with the help of a wire called the “latch cable”. This cable connects the latch to the latch lever present in the car cabin, below the steering wheel.
There are two locks in the latch. When the driver lifts the release lever, the hood pops out. Therefore when the lever is lifted, the spring mechanism present in the latch opens the first lock of the hood and the popping up sound is due to the unlocking of the first lock.
Then the driver goes to the front of the vehicle and searches for the latch lever. When the driver presses the latch lever, the hood lock is released from the second lock, and the hood can be lifted and supported with a hood prop rod.
What happens when a hood is closed?
When the hood is released from the hood prop rod, it is placed back on the top of the latch. When the hood is pressed a little bit from the top, the hood lock is engaged back in the first lock. When the hood is placed in the first lock, it reaches the pop-up position.
Now when the hood is pressed further, the hood anchor engages the second lock of the latch. Now the hood is completely locked. When you pull the hood release latch for opening the hood, the second lock is released first. Meanwhile, the second lock is engaged at the end while closing the hood.
How to open the hood if the latch is rusted?
- Before opening the hood, turn the engine off, pull the parking brake and bring the gearbox into neutral.
- Now call a friend as two people will be required to open the hood. Ask your friend to pull the hood release lever.
- When your friend lifts the lever, you need to press the hood. When you press the hood downward, it reduces the pressure on the latch and causes it to open.
- Now the hood comes into the pop-up position, search for the lever of the primary lock and press it. Once you press the lock, the hood is free to lift.
- Lift the hood and support the hood with the hood prop rod.
- If the latch is completely rusted, even the lubrication is not making it smooth, then get the latch changed.
This article addressed “How to open hood of car Subaru” in this article. In addition, we have also explained the working of the hood latch in case of opening and closing. Moreover, we have also explained how to open the hood if the latch is rusted.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): How to open the hood of car Subaru
What is the cover under the hood called?
The cover under the hood is called the fire blanket. If the engine catches fire, the plastic tabs that hold the fire blanket will melt, and the fire blanket will fall on the engine to smother the fire.
What is the Plastic Piece present under the car bumper?
Since the bumpers on the cars are open to road debris, there are chances that the bumper might get damaged and getting the bumper repaired is heavy on the pocket. So some auto manufacturers install a plastic plate to protect the bumper.
Do I need insulation under the hood?
Getting insulation done under the hood is a beneficial idea. Because the insulation will absorb the excess heat generated by the engine, moreover, on a sunny day, it will prevent the heat from entering the engine.
Can you drive without the hood liner?
Yes, the function of the hood liner is to provide sound insulation so that it is quieter in the car, and secondly, the hood liner acts as an insulation to prevent the transmission of heat. Hence, driving the car without it won’t be an issue.