If you are asking yourself the question, “Is it normal for a car to leak water.” Then you are reading the correct article. This article will give you information about the common reasons behind water leakage from the car. In addition, we will also give you brief information about identifying the fluid leakage and what can be the reasons behind the water leakage from the A/C inside the cabin of the vehicle.
Is it normal for a car to leak water?
The water leakage from the bottom of the vehicle is quite normal. Therefore, there is nothing to worry about if the water leakage is in small quantities. However, if the leakage is in large quantities, it can be due to the coolant leaks and clogging of the water drain of the A/C system.
Some of the common problems in the A/C system leak are the following.
- The air conditioning system generates a high condensation in every vehicle during normal operation. This condensation generally drains the moisture outside from the back of the engine compartment.
- In some vehicles, the water starts to drip out from the vehicle’s tailpipe. This is mainly due to the combustion process happening in the vehicle. Thus water coming out of the tailpipe is completely normal.
Even if the water is coming out in significant quantities, it is not much of an issue. However, if other fluids such as engine oil, brake oil, etc., are leaking, it can be a big issue for the vehicle’s operation.
Is the car leaking water inside?
Sometimes, the water leak starts happening inside the cabin of the vehicle. Thus if the water leak starts to happen on the inside of the vehicle, then the cause of the problem may be the clogging of the A/C system drain. However, this might not be the case every time because water can enter the vehicle’s passenger compartment due to several other reasons such as a poorly installed windshield, gaps in the sunroof, excessive corrosion, or broken seams in the vehicle’s body panels. Some of the reasons behind the water leak inside the cabin due to the A/C are the following:-
- The evaporator drain is clogged by dust and debris.
- The evaporator core is leaking.
- The plastic or the rubber seals in the A/C system have failed.
Identifying the cause behind the leaking water from the car
When a fluid leaks from the bottom of the vehicle, it becomes necessary to identify what kind of fluid it is. Because if it is a vital fluid that affects the vehicle’s performance, then the leakage problem needs to be fixed as early as possible.
- Identifying the type of fluid against a factual background can be difficult. Hence, it will be a great idea to put a paper below the leaking place and notice the colour of the leaking fluid.
- If there is no colour in the fluid, it is probably water. However, if a colour shows up, such as blue, green, yellow, or some other colour, it may concern the driver.
- A small amount of water coming out from the tailpipe is just condensation. However, if there is a significant amount of water coming out along with smoke, there might be a blown gasket. A blown gasket causes the fuel to burn with coolant, and thus white smoke comes out from the tailpipe.
- If the fluid leaking from the bottom is of a unique colour, it is probably coolant because coolant is offered in different colours.
- There can be a scenario where the fluid coming out from the bottom is the windshield wiper fluid. The main reason behind the leaking of windscreen wiper fluid is the cracking of the tank which holds the windscreen wiper fluid.
In this article, we have successfully addressed “Is it normal for a car to leak water.” To address the topic elaborately, we have first explained whether the water leak is normal or not, followed by the causes of the water leak inside the cabin. In addition, we have also explained how to identify the fluid coming out from the bottom of the vehicle.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Is it normal for a car to leak water?
Why is there water dripping under my car?
A small quantity of water can be observed below the vehicle, and it is completely fine. The water leak below the car can be due to the A/C running full blast due to hot and humid weather outside.
Do cars usually leak water?
Several different types of fluid can leak from the car, especially at the front of the vehicle. However, if only water is leaking, it is not a big deal and can be easily solved.
How do I stop the water from leaking in the car?
One of the easiest ways to seal the leaking water is by identifying the cause of the leak and then taking the vehicle to the mechanic to get the problem fixed.
What colour is coolant when it leaks?
The coolant leaking from the vehicle can be pink, yellow, or green. Moreover, coolant can leak from multiple areas. Therefore, it is advised to check the coolant dripping carefully.