When Should You Replace the Fuel Door Actuator in the VW Tiguan? (17+ DIY Steps)
The procedure for “VW Tiguan fuel door replacement” is simple and can be carried out easily with some basic tools.The fuel door actuator needs to be replaced when the fuel door of the VW Tiguan isn’t opening.
The VW Tiguan fuel door is operated with the help of a fuel door actuator. The fuel door actuator is a device that contains a sensor and operates when the lock or the unlock button on the key fob are pressed. The fuel door actuator senses the pressing of the key fob button and then actuates the lock pin, which is responsible for the locking of the fuel door.
An electrical circuit operates the actuator. Thus, there are chances that the fuel door actuator circuit gets damaged; hence the actuator’s malfunctioning happens. When the fuel door actuator starts to malfunction, there are chances that the fuel door opening and closing becomes uncertain. The misbehaving of the fuel door actuator can be due to several things, and some of the causes of the fuel door actuator getting faulty are as follows.
Reasons for Replacing the VW Tiguan fuel door actuator
- Water entering the actuator.
- The wiring connecting the actuator to the battery is damaged.
- The plug of the actuator is damaged.
- The sensor inside the actuator is damaged.
Procedure for Replacing the VW Tiguan Fuel Door Actuator.
If any of the following causes have happened, then there are chances that the actuator of the fuel door starts to misbehave. Unfortunately, once the actuator starts to misbehave, you are only left with one option to change the fuel door actuator.
For changing the fuel door actuator, you will need some basic tools and knowledge to operate it. The tools required for changing the actuator are a screwdriver, ratchet, socket, etc.
- To replace the fuel door actuator, you will need basic tools such as the ratchet, socket and screwdriver.
- With the help of the flat head screwdriver, pry open the fuel door. Put the flat end of the screwdriver in the gap present between the body and the fuel door and then pry open the door.
- Once the fuel door is open, there will be a screw present next to the latch of the fuel door. Open this screw with the help of a screwdriver.
- After opening the screw, there will be a thin rubber grommet behind the fuel tank inlet. You need to detach the rubber sheet near the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once you detach the thin rubber sheet, you need to pull the grommet out. The grommet and flap are connected. Hence once you pull, the flap will also come out.
- Open the vehicle’s trunk and remove the plastic panel on the side of the fuel tank.
- You need to pull the plastic panel out. Behind the plastic panel, you will see a plug. Remove this plug.
- Once you have removed the plug, you need to come towards the fuel inlet and remove the plug from the flap actuator. After the plug is removed, you need to pull the flap actuator out from its assembly.
- Get the new actuator and insert the cable through the hole present for the actuator plug. Now put the actuator plug grommet and then the actuator on the car body.
- While putting the actuator on the vehicle, make sure that the pin on the flap actuator faces outward.
- Make sure that the flap actuator is perfectly locked in place.
- Once the flap actuator is in place, you need to go to the vehicle’s trunk and then connect the switch with the wire present behind the side body panel.
- Once the plug is connected, you need to put the plastic cover back into its desired location. Put the cover back on the car body and lock it properly.
- After assembling the trunk side cover, it is now time for you to put the flap of the fuel back.
- For putting the fuel door back, you first need to put the drain tube through the hole present on the vehicle body. Once the drain tube is arranged, align the rubber sheet cutout with the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once the rubber cut out is properly aligned with the fuel tank inlet, gently push it, and the doo flap will be installed on the Tiguan.
- To check the flap placement, you need to check whether the pin on the actuator is properly visible. If the actuator pin isn’t visible, then you need to adjust the flap properly to make it visible.
- After putting the flap back, tighten the screw, you removed at the start of the process and the procedure to install the new actuator is now complete.
The replacement procedure for the VW Tiguan is pretty simple. Thus, for fixing the faulty fuel door actuator on the vehicle a person needs to arrange some basic tools such as a screwdriver, ratchet, and socket and use them to fix the fuel door.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): VW Tiguan fuel door actuator replacement
How do you know if your car door latch is broken?
If the door latch on your vehicle is broken, then your vehicle door won’t open. However, this is not a clear signal because the car door might not open due to different issues such as the fault in the latch mechanism of the car.
Why are my doors not latching?
When the door latch on the vehicle is not closing, the main reason behind the faulty door is the misalignment between the door latch and striker. If the two are misaligned, then the grip won’t be there.
Why is the car door not locking or unlocking?
One of the reasons why the car door is not locking or unlocking is the dead batteries in the key fob. Thus if you replace the battery on the key fob, then the locking and unlocking of the door will start.
How do you open a car door that won’t open outside or inside?
A car door that isn’t opening from the inside or the outside can be due to the latch becoming rusty. To solve this problem, you need to lubricate the door.
Can a door latch be repaired?
Yes, However, to get the repair work done on the door latch, you will need an expert mechanic who knows about the working of the door latch.