How to Fix Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension Issues? (Troubleshooting Guide)
In this brief article we are going to discuss the different Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension problems, what the causes are, and Troubleshooting Tips.
What are the most common Tandem Axle Trailer suspension issues?
The most common Tandem Axle Trailer suspension issues are:
- Equalizer breakage
- Tyre Scrubbing
Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension Set-up
The Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension is a load sharing independent suspension used in Leading Trailer Manufacturers, and Transportation Companies.
The Tandem axle arrangement is meant to perfectly balance the 2 axles in terms of load bearing. The design is in such a way as to maintain equal distribution of weight across the 2 axles in any given road condition.
Different Types of Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension Products
Tandem Axle Trailer Smart Coil
The Tandem Axle Trailer Smart Coil is available as both in a single axle configuration as well as tandem axle. The Smart Coil features a coil spring with progressive spring rate. This is particularly useful in maintaining a steady ride height with increasing loads. The set-up is more suited to caravans that do more Off-roading.
Airbag tandem systems
Instead of Coil springs, there are tandem axles that incorporate airbags. This setup is a more popular option for touring vans travelling mostly on motorways, with relatively lesser off-road travel. The set-up is more oriented towards ride comfort.
Leaf spring axle systems
Our leaf spring systems also feature a load-sharing type of design which closely resembles the Boogie configuration that came from railway cars. The main advantage is full wheel articulation, without requiring shock absorbers, since the interleaf friction takes care of the damping. Available in single and tandem systems.
- Some tandem axles have a Load-Balancer Bracket or Equalizer, which transfers the weight between the two axles
- In salty and moist conditions, this is prone to rusting and, in some extreme cases, disintegration
- In most branded axle products, the spares would be available for a replacement
- Uneven Tyre wear on the wheels
- The reason this happens is due to the tires missing their alignment
- The best way to deal with it is to get the alignment done at a place that does alignment for Trucks. Car and Van alignment shops might not be able to do a good job.
- If an alignment did not solve the issue, then it might be the case that the axles are bent.
- In order to check axle bened, you can use a straight edge plank or a sheet-metal channel of roughly 1-2 mtr and place it over the edges of both the tyres on the sidewall.
- Ideally, there must be no gap between the tires and the plank. If there is a gap, then it means that there is an issue with either of the axles
- Also check the center distance between the axles on both sides. Use the in-built adjustment to align the axles back to the manufacturer recommendations.
In this brief article we have discussed the different Tandem Axle Trailer Suspension problems, what the causes are, and Troubleshooting Tips.