This article will enlighten the readers on the “VW Tiguan fuel flap emergency release” problem. The fuel door in the VW Tiguan is operated with the help of a fuel door actuator. However, if the actuator becomes faulty, you need to open the fuel door manually. This article will give you the procedure to open the fuel door manually.
What is the procedure for the emergency release of the VW Tiguan fuel flap?
- Arrange basic tools such as ratchet, socket and screwdriver.
- Unlock the vehicle and open the trunk of the vehicle.
- Remove the plastic covering present on the side of the fuel door.
- Disconnect the wire coming out of the fuel door actuator
- Now access the actuator with your hands. You will be able to feel a metal rod connected to the actuator. Pull it.
Problems that can cause the fault in the fuel door assembly
The fuel door on the VW Tiguan is operated with the help of a fuel door actuator. The fuel door actuator is a sensor that responds to the lock or unlocks signal given by the key fob. The actuator consists of a small pin used to lock the fuel door in one place. When the lock or the unlock button is pressed on the actuator, the pin is actuated.
The actuator on the VW Tiguan is operated with the help of the car battery. The actuator is connected to the car battery with the help of a wire which is present behind the cover of the trunk sidewall.
Due to some fault in the system responsible for the actuation of the fuel door, the fuel door might not open. In such a case, you need to open the fuel door manually by accessing the fuel door actuator. The various problems which can cause the fault in the fuel door assembly are
Electrical wiring damage
Since the fuel door is opened with the help of an electrical circuit, there are chances that the electrical wiring in the circuit gets damaged. This damage in the wiring will restrict the electricity from reaching the actuator, which will hinder its working.
The fuel door fuse is blown.
The fuel door actuator is a component that works with electricity. Hence, there are chances that the fuse attached to the electrical circuit of the fuel door actuator gets blown. If the fuse gets blown, the circuit won’t work, and the fuel door won’t open.
The actuator becomes faulty.
The fuel door actuator is a delicate component that consists of electrical wiring and sensors. The fuel door actuator can get damaged due to a fault in the electrical circuit, and hence the fuel door might not open.
Steps to emergency open the fuel door on VW Tiguan.
- To open the fuel door manually, you will need basic tools such as the screwdriver, ratchet, and socket set.
- Once you have arranged all the tools, it is now time to begin the procedure for opening the vehicle’s fuel door.
- The first step in the procedure is to unlock the vehicle and open the vehicle’s trunk.
- Once the trunk is open, remove the plastic covering present on the side of the fuel door. The plastic covering is locked in place with the help of plastic locks. Hence, while removing the plastic cover, be careful because you need to avoid breaking locks on the plastic cover.
- Once the plastic cover is removed, the fuel door actuator will be visible. Moreover, you will also observe a wire coming out from the fuel door actuator. It would help if you disconnected this wire.
- Once the wire is connected, the electrical power to the circuit is stopped. Thus, now you can safely access the actuator.
- Now access the actuator with your hands. You will be able to feel a metal rod connected to the actuator. For opening the actuator manually, you need to pull this rod. Once you pull the rod, the fuel door will open.
- Emergency opening of the fuel door is an alternative that should be used only when there is a fault in the fuel door actuation system.
- After opening the fuel door, arrange the fuel to stay open until the fuel door actuation system is repaired. Get the system repaired as soon as possible.
- If you don’t have the necessary expertise to open the fuel door, you can also pry open the fuel door by using a screwdriver.
In this article, we have addressed the “VW Tiguan fuel flap emergency release” procedure. The emergency release of the fuel door on a VW Tiguan can be done in two different ways, either by accessing the fuel door actuator or by prying open the fuel door. The need to open the fuel door in this way arises when the fuel door mechanism gets faulty.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): VW Tiguan fuel flap emergency release
Why is my fuel tank door not opening?
If the fuel tank door isn’t opening on your vehicle, then the problem might lie in the mechanical system of the fuel door. Moreover, the solenoid might also get faulty.
Why is my gas cap stuck?
The gas cap on the fuel tank can be stuck on the gas tank inlet for several reasons, such as a mechanical defect in the cap or the error in installing the cap on the vehicle.
How much does it cost to fix the fuel door?
To fix the fuel door on the vehicle will cost you around $104 for the part, while a labour cost of $74 to $96 will be incurred.
What is a fuel door actuator?
A fuel door actuator is a device used to open or close the fuel door on a vehicle. For example, with the help of a fuel door actuator, you can open the fuel door just by clicking the fuel door flap.