This article will mention the technique to “pry open the gas tank door”. The gas tank door is an essential component of the vehicle. If the gas tank door doesn’t open, then a person won’t be able to fill the gas tank because there is only one inlet to the fuel tank. Therefore a person should always carry basic tools such as a screwdriver to pry open the fuel tank.
The fuel tank door operates with the help of a latch. The flap consists of a latch that is responsible for its locking. Besides this, a spring attached to the latch which ensures that the flap pops out when the latch is released. The popping out of the flap ensures that it can be opened easily when it is unlocked. However, since the locking mechanism of the fuel tank flap is mechanical, there are high chances that the mechanism gets damaged. The different reasons behind the mechanism getting damaged are as follows.
When do we need to pry open the gas tank door?
- The latch is rusted.
- Spring attached to the latch is broken.
- The latch cable is broken.
- The latch has misaligned due to a dent in the car body near it.
These are some of the reasons responsible for the malfunctioning of the gas tank flap.
Method to pry open the gas tank flap.
Opening the gas tank by prying is one of the easiest ways to counter the problem of faulty fuel tank flap. To pry open the gas tank flap, some basic tool such as a screwdriver is required. Make sure the screwdriver is the flathead because with the help of a flat head screwdriver, opening the fuel tank flap becomes easy.
- To pry open the gas tank flap, you need a flat head screwdriver of any size.
- There is a gap between the gas tank flap and the car body. Hence you need to insert the screwdriver in this gap for opening the gas tank flap.
- Once you put the screwdriver in the gap between the gas tank flap and the body, you need to apply force on the screwdriver such that the gas tank flap starts lifting.
- Moreover, when you apply force on the screwdriver placed between the gas tank flap and the car body, you need to move the screwdriver inwards. Because as you move the screwdriver inwards, the gap between the fuel flap and the car body increases. Therefore, there are more chances that the latch gets detached from the lock.
- Pry opening of the fuel tank flap is mostly done when the fuel tank flap isn’t opening due to a faulty latch or a broken latch cable. Moreover, sometimes the latch works perfectly, but the spring responsible for popping the latch out is broken. Hence, in that case, a manual lever is needed to lift the fuel door.
This article explains the procedure to “pry open the gas tank door”. The gas tank door uses a mechanical mechanism for opening and locking. Moreover, in some high-end vehicles, an electrical actuator is present, which is responsible for the actuation of the gas tank door. However, since there is a mechanism involved in the actuation of the gas tank door, there are chances that it can get faulty. However, every fault can be troubleshooted by prying open the gas tank flap.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): pry open gas tank door
Why won’t the gas tank door open?
The gas tank door won’t open due to several reasons. However, one of the main reasons behind the door not opening can be due to the faulty door lever. A door lever is responsible for opening up the fuel tank door.
What is the gas tank door called?
The gas tank door is also known as the fuel filler. The fuel filler is the upper part of the neck or filler tube.
How do you open the gas tank with a key?
In a few vehicles, a key lock is present on the top of the cap, which restricts the cap from turning in the counterclockwise direction. To open the cap in such a case is pretty easy, and you need to follow the certain steps mentioned below.
- Lift the lever, and the fuel door will open.
- Then put the key in the gas tank cap.
- Turn the key in a clockwise direction to unlock it.
- Once the cap is unlocked, rotate the cap in a counterclockwise direction.