In this article, we will explain the problem “Why does my trunk keep popping open Chevy Cruze.” While explaining the problem, we will explain the troubleshooting method for fixing the issue on your Chevy Cruze.
The Chevy Cruze is a compact car launched by General Motors in the year 2008. The car grabbed significant attention and was one of the most powerful cars in its segment. However, due to increasing popularity towards SUVs, the Chevy Cruze sales declined gradually phased out from the automotive market.
The Chevrolet Cruze has been one of the biggest sold vehicles of General motors. However, even when the car was so popular and maintenance-free, there were some issues that the customers reported, and one such issue was the fault in the trunk, which led to the rapid popping up of the trunk.
Why does my trunk keep popping open on Chevy Cruze?
The popping up of the trunk on its own can be due to several reasons. One of the reasons behind the trunk opening on its own is the faulty switch present on the trunk. Moreover, the other reason behind the trunk opening on its own can be the faulty latch. However, out of the two reasons, the faulty latch is one of the main reasons behind the malfunctioning trunk of the vehicle.
Troubleshooting method for fixing the trunk of the Chevy Cruze
- To install the new latch on the Chevy Cruze, you need some basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers and a clip remover tool.
- Once the tools are arranged, open the trunk of Chevy Cruze. After opening the trunk, there will be a cloth cover, which protects the trunk components.
- The cloth cover is fitted to the vehicle’s trunk with the help of plastic pins, which need to be detached with the help of a clip remover tool.
- Before removing the cloth, the Chevy Cruze has a plastic handle to pull the trunk down for closing. This handle is fitted with the help of bolts, and you need to lose the bolts for taking the handle out from the trunk.
- Once the handle is removed, start removing the plastic clips with the help of a clip removal tool. There will be around 6*8 plastic clips holding the protective cloth on the trunk.
- Moreover, the latch will have a plastic cover that needs to be lifted with the help of a screwdriver. Once the cover is lifted, you can easily remove the plastic cover from the trunk lid.
- Once the clips are removed, pull the plastic cover out, and you will be able to see the trunk latch.
- Once the plastic cover is removed, with the help of a 10mm socket and torque wrench, lose the bolts used to fix the latch on the car assembly.
- Now with the help of a marker, mark the outlines of the latch so that you have a for properly align the new latch on the trunk of the vehicle.
- Now bring the new latch, and with the help of a 10mm socket and torque wrench, tighten the bolts that held the previous latch on the vehicle’s trunk.
- Once the latch is fitted, close the trunk and check whether the latch is working perfectly.
- After putting the plastic protective cloth back and pinning it properly, after putting the cloth cover back, put the latch cover back.
- Now place the handles installed on the trunk for shutting it properly. Once the handles are installed, your trunk is completely assembled.
In this article, we have successfully addressed “Why does my trunk keep popping open Chevy Cruze.” To address this issue, we have explained the two causes that might cause Chevy Cruze’s faulty trunk. Moreover, we have also explained how to change the faulty latch on your Chevy Cruze by using basic tools.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Why does my trunk keep popping open Chevy Cruze
Why does the Trunk Open by itself on a Chevy Cruze?
There are two reasons why the trunk opens automatically on the Chevy Cruze. One reason is the faulty switch of the trunk, while the other reason is due to the fault in the latch in the trunk. For fixing the issue, you need to replace both components.
Can a car trunk open on itself?
Yes, the car trunk can open on itself. However, the trunk’s opening depends upon the faulty component in the car, such as the fob, latch, switch, etc.
Does the Chevy Cruze break down a lot?
The Chevy Cruze is a robust machine and can last between 200,000-250,000 miles when it is driven conservatively and with proper maintenance. The lifespan of Chevy Cruze is around 13-17 years.
What Year is the Chevy Cruze best?
The Chevy Cruze’s first generation is in between 2011 to 2015. However, the best Chevy Cruze was available between the years 2013 to 2015. The vehicles in this time period were reliable and had a practical tech.