Why does the Dodge Dart trunk keep opening?
This article will explain the “Dodge Dart trunk keeps opening” problem. To address the Dodge dart trunk opening problem, we will explain to you a troubleshooting method that can be used to solve the problem of the trunk.
The Dodge Dart is a front-engine, front-wheel drive, four-door compact sedan manufactured by Fiat Chrysler Automotive (FCA) ltd USA. The car made its debut in the 2012 North American international auto show. The vehicle has interesting features, such as obstacle detection and a blind-spot monitoring system.
The car is quite advanced with its technology. However, as an owner or a driver, you might face some basic issues, such as the trunk keeps opening problems on your Dodge. The trunk problem can be quite frustrating, especially when on a road trip.
The Dodge, unlike other cars, uses the same latch and catch mechanism for anchoring the trunk lid on the vehicle. In the Dodge Dart, the latch is present on the trunk lid; meanwhile, the catch is fixed on the vehicle frame with the help of the bolts. The working of the latching mechanism is quite simple. When the driver pushes the trunk down, the latch gets attached to the catch present on the vehicle frame, and the trunk is locked.
Why does the Dodge Dart trunk keep opening?
If there is an issue with the trunk where it keeps opening, then the problem mainly lies in the vehicle’s latch. You can solve this problem by following some easy troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Troubleshooting method to fix the Trunk opening problem on Dart
If the trunk in your Dart is continuously opening, then the problem mostly lies in the vehicle’s latch. Because mostly, the latch won’t hold the catch properly, which is why the hood opens. The best way to get rid of the problem is by replacing the old latch with a new latch.
- For replacing the latch on the Dodge Dart, you will need some basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers and torque wrench. Thus arrange these tools first.
- After the tools are arranged, open the trunk of the Dodge Dart. Once you have opened the trunk, you will see a cover on it, which is electrical connections and components inside it.
- The cloth cover is held onto the vehicle’s trunk with the help of plastic pins, which need to be detached for removing the cloth. To remove these plastic clips, you will need a special tool called clip remover tool.
- Place the clip removal tool below the plastic clips and apply force on the handle. Once you apply force on the handle, the clip will pop out from its slot. There will be around 6 clips holding the protective cloth on the trunk.
- Once you have removed the protective cloth, you will see the trunk latch. The trunk latch will have a protective plastic cover to preserve it from any damages during operation.
- Now the cover on the top of the latch is held up with the help of two plastic clips. Remove these two plastic clips with the help of a clip remover tool. Once the clips are removed, pull the plastic cover out, and you will be able to see the trunk latch.
- The latch on the Dart will have an electric plug connected to it. You need to remove this plug. To remove this plug, you need to apply force on the plastic pin, and the plug will be removed.
- Once the plug is removed, with the help of a 10mm socket and torque wrench, lose the bolts used to fix the latch on the car assembly. Once the bolts are out, the latch will automatically fall.
- Before removing the latch, with the help of a marker, mark the outlines of the latch so that you have a designated place where the new latch needs to be fitted on the trunk.
- Now bring the new latch, and with the help of a 10mm socket and torque wrench, tighten the bolts that hold the latch on the vehicle’s trunk.
- Once the latch is fixed on the trunk, put the electrical plug back into the socket on the vehicle’s latch.
- Now close the trunk and check whether the latch is working perfectly or not. If the latch works perfectly, place the protective latch cover back with the help of two plastic pins.
- After putting the plastic cover back, put the protective cloth back on the trunk with the help of plastic pins.
- The trunk is now completely assembled.
In this article, we have successfully addressed “Dodge Dart trunk keeps opening.” While explaining the problem, we have also explained the various causes and how a person can troubleshoot the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Dodge Dart trunk keeps opening.
Do Dodge Darts have a lot of problems?
Dodge Dart owners have made 598 complaints, and that too over 4 years. In my opinion, these are not a plethora of faults.
Why did Dodge Dart fail?
In the initial years, Dodge Dart was promising. However, later 23,000 cars were recalled due to a faulty transmission. Thus due to this vehicle recall, the DOdge dart became a failure.
How long can a Dodge Dart last?
The Dodge Dart can last between 140,000 to 160,000 miles. Moreover, a Dodge dart needs to go 0.28times per year with a 13% chance of a severe problem in the vehicle.
Is Dodge Dart Reliable?
The Dodge Dart has a reliable 4.0 out of 5.0, making it 28th out of the 36 cars. The average repair cost on the Dodge Dart is about $597.