Why does the gas door on the 2014 VW Jetta not open?
The fuel door release on the 2014 VW Jetta is operated with the help of a fuel door actuator. Hence if the “2014 vw jetta gas door won’t open” due to a faulty release then there can be various reasons.
As mentioned earlier, the 2014 VW Jetta uses a fuel door actuator for opening and closing the fuel door. A fuel door actuator is a simple sensor which is operated by the help of the buttons on the key fob. The actuator receives its power from the car battery through electrical wires.
Thus if the gas door isn’t opening, then the problem can be at any place throughout the system. Moreover, there can be physical damages as well in the system which can cause the malfunction in the opening and closing of the fuel door on the VW Jetta. Such as the hinge of the fuel door might get damaged or a dent around the fuel door might be responsible for the malfunction of the fuel door.
However, one of the major problems which a person might face with the faulty fuel door in the vehicle is the damage of the fuel door actuator. The fuel door actuator can be easily changed by the driver of the car with help of some basic tools.
Why does the gas door on the 2014 VW Jetta not open?
The various problems which can cause a faulty fuel door on a VW is
- Rusting of the door hinge.
- Fuel door actuator damaged.
- Damaged wiring
- Blown fuse of the actuator assembly.
Troubleshooting method for changing the fuel door actuator on the VW Jetta.
- To replace the fuel door actuator, you will need some basic tools such as the ratchet, socket and screwdriver.
- With the help of the flat head screwdriver, pry open the fuel door. Put the flat end of the screwdriver in the gap present between the body and the fuel door and then pry open the door.
- Once the fuel door is open, there will be a screw present next to the latch of the fuel door. Open this screw with the help of a screwdriver.
- After opening the screw, there will be a thin rubber sheet behind the fuel tank inlet. You need to detach the rubber sheet near the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once you detach the thin rubber sheet, you need to pull the sheet out. The rubber sheet and flap are connected to each other. Hence as you pull the rubber sheet out, the flap will also come out.
- Open the trunk of the vehicle and remove the panel on the side of the fuel tank. The plastic panel will be held in place by using plastic clips. These screws can be removed with the help of a clip remover tool.
- Once the plastic clips on the panel are removed, you need to pull the plastic panel out. Behind the plastic panel, you will see a plug that is connected to the flap actuator. You need to remove this plug.
- Once you have removed the plug, you need to come towards the fuel inlet and remove the plug from the flap actuator. After the plug is removed, you need to pull the flap actuator out from its assembly.
- Get the new actuator and insert the cable through the hole present for the actuator plug. Now put the actuator plug grommet and then put the actuator on the car body.
- While putting the actuator on the vehicle, make sure that the pin on the flap actuator faces outward.
- Make sure that the flap actuator is perfectly locked in place.
- Once the flap actuator is in place, you need to go to the trunk of the vehicle and connect the plug with the switch present behind the side body panel.
- Once the plug is connected, you need to put the plastic cover back into its desired location and lock it properly.
- After assembling the trunk side cover, it is now time for you to put the flap of the fuel back.
- For putting the fuel door back, you first need to put the drain tube through the hole present on the vehicle body. Once the drain tube is arranged, align the rubber sheet cutout with the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once the rubber cut out is properly aligned with the fuel tank inlet, gently push it, and the doo flap will be again installed on the Tiguan.
- To check the placement of the flap, you need to check whether the pin on the actuator is properly visible. If the actuator pin isn’t visible, then you need to adjust the flap properly to make it visible.
- After putting the flap back, tighten the screw which you have removed at the start of the process. The procedure to install the new actuator is now complete.
- Test the working of the new actuator.
To address the issue of a fuel door not opening in VW Jetta., we have mentioned the different problems which a fuel door might face in your vehicle. Also we have given a brief description about how the problem can be fixed.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) : 2014 vw jetta gas door release won’t open
How long are fuel tanks good for?
The fuel in the fuel tank stays good for about three to six months. This durability of three to six months is only possible if the fuel is stored properly.
Do fuel tanks need to be vented?
The fuel tank needs to be vented because during summers due to external rise in temperature, the fuel expands. Hence, some kind of opening must be given to release vacuum and pressure from the tank.
How do you know if your tank is bunded?
A bunded tank is a tank which has a second skin. For a bunded tank to be compliant, it should be able to hold 110% of the tank’s capacity.
When should the fuel tank be replaced?
A fuel tank should be replaced after 30 years old. However, if the tank has suffered some damages in recent times, then it should be changed immediately.