This article will answer the question: is Mercedes Benz a German company? And some insights into the Mercedes Benz factory. Lastly, we take a look at different classes in Mercedes Benz.
Is Mercedes Benz a German car company?
Yes, Mercedes Benz is a German car manufacturer. Mercedes Benz is under the largest automotive group based in Stuttgart Germany called Daimler AG. Daimler AG manufactures Mercedes Benz passenger cars, buses, trucks and motorcycles. From 1926-to 1998 they were known as Daimler-Benz AG. However, as of Feb 1 2022, Daimler AG has renamed itself as Mercedes Benz group AG.
In 1886, Karl Benz who was a german engine designer invented what we call the modern-day car with the petrol engine and during the same period, Gottlieb Daimler and his business partner William Maybach were in the business of converting stagecoaches by adding petrol engines.
The production of the first Branded Mercedes Benz started in 1926 when the two companies of Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler merged and created the Daimler Benz company.
Since then Mercedes has become an automotive behemoth that produces millions of cars every year across a huge range of use cases. Mercedes Benz manufacturers Luxury cars with an emphasis on luxury and comfort. There is a performance-oriented AMG model in all different classes offered by Mercedes Benz.
Mercedes Benz AMG is located in Affalterbach and manufactures high-performance engines under ONE MAN ONE ENGINE philosophy. Only one engine builder assembles complete engine eight from engine block to finished product. After completion of the build, the engine builder signs his or her name in a badge and install it on the engine cover.
Where are Mercedes cars made?
Mercedes Benz has production factories all over the world but the main manufacturing factories are located only in Germany. Other location does not manufacture cars but only assembles from knockdown kits. The company has factories in 17 countries across 4 continents.
Following are a few of the Mercedes Benz factories.
- Bremen, Germany
- East London, South Africa
- Hambach, France
- Iracemápolis, Brazil
- Kecskemet, Hungary
- Rastatt, Germany
- Sindelfingen, Germany
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Pekan, Indonesia
- Pune, India
- Affalterbach, Germany
- Arnstadt, Germany
- Berlin, Germany
- Cugir, Romania
- Hamburg, Germany
- Kolla, Germany
The factory in Stuttgart, Germany is the mother factory, all the development, production and shipment of engines, transmissions and CKDs are shipped from this location. It is also the headquarters of the Daimler AG, recently named as Mercedes Benz group AG. The Stuttgart factory has a history extending back over 115 years and it is the highest tech location for the production of cars and hybrid drive systems.
Mercedes Benz AG will be focusing on the development and production of electric cars under the EQ brand, and the Stuttgart factory will also produce lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. Battery factories also have built-in Brühl and Hedelfingen plant sections.
In addition to assembly and manufacturing parts of the electric cars, Germany will also become a global hub for battery production.
The plant has six total facilities, Untertürkheim and Bad Cannstatt are responsible for the production of engines and the forge is also located there. The transmissions are manufactured in Sindelfingen. Mettingen has the foundry for axle production.
Mercedes Benz AG is responsible for GLobal production of Mercedes Benz passenger cars and Vans. the total number of employees worldwide exceeds over 200,000.
Different classes available in Mercedes Benz
Mercedes Benz produces cars across various platforms like sedans, SUVS, Compact SUVs, Estate. The many engines and transmission options are available for different model series. Mercedes Benz built to order allows for different choices of interior, driver assistance systems and accessories to be fitted to vehicles during the production. Following are some popular Mercedes benz models
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class- Model series W177 is a subcompact hatchback produced under NGC new generation cars. The class has AMG 35 and 45 high-performance models. It is also available in estate and sedan body types. GLA is also based on the A-class platform, it is a Compact SUV with larger tyres and better ground clearance.
- Mercedes-Benz B class- B class model series W246 is also a compact hatchback with emphasis on cargo space. It is an NGC car and also available in compact SUV GLB with 7 seats. There is no AMG for the B class model series. Model series EQB is a recently launched full electric car based on the B class platform. It is available in single motor 2 wheel drive and twin motor 4 wheel drive variants.
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class- the C class model series W205 is a standard sized sedan from Mercedes Benz. It is also available in the AMG line and AMG 63 model series. The C class coupe comes with a 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system. The C class comes in a soft-top convertible model.
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class- The E class model series w/v213 is the most popular and highest selling Mercedes Benz model in premium sedans. A longer wheelbase version is also sold in markets like India and China. It is the second most technologically advanced car in the Mercedes Benz line-up. E Cabriolet is a soft-top two-door coupe available with a 4 and 6 cylinder petrol engine.
- Mercedes Benz S class. The S class model series W223 is the most premium sedan and also the most technologically advanced vehicle from Mercedes Benz. S class comes with a luxury Maybach model and high-performance S 63 amg with sports coupe version.
- Mercedes-Benz GLC-The GLC model series X253 is the start in the SUV family of Mercedes Benz with a 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system. The EQC full electric car is based on the GLC platform. GLC comes with inline 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engine. High-performance GLC 63 AMG has a bigger 8 cylinder V8 engine with a cylinder shut-off function for better fuel economy. AMG Line model GLC 43 has a V6 engine and all-wheel-drive system. AIRMATIC suspension is only available on AMG line and AMG models.
- Mercedes-Benz GLE- GLE model series X167 is the full-sized SUV available in a more powerful 6 cylinder turbo diesel engine. In some markets, it has a 7 seat version. The GLE also features AIRMATIC suspension. GLE specialises in off-road driving conditions, special driving modes and torque distribution can send 100 % of power to the wheel that has grip. The newly developed pneumatic and hydraulic suspension can also rock the car if the car is stuck off-road.
- Mercedes-Benz GLS- GLS model series X167 is the largest SUV from Mercedes Benz. It also comes in a luxury GLS Maybach model with a hybrid hydraulic and Airmatic suspension system. It is a bigger version of the GLE with the same engine and transmission options. There is a 5 seater GLS 63 AMG model which focuses on giving high performance. Previously the GLE and GLS were known as the M class which was discontinued.
There are compact SUV models based on the A & B class platform known as GLA and GLB.
Mercedes Benz has very deep roots in German history which dates back to the 1900s and today also Mercedes Benz cars are at the forefront of technological breakthroughs. Thanks to years of producing reliable and high-performance cars, when people talk about German build quality and cars, the first brand that comes to their mind is Mercedes Benz.